Pages

AVAILABLE NOW ON AMAZON.COM

Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Fortitude of Freedom


 
I don’t know about you… but I enjoy my own company. Although I am blessed with a fabulous arsenal of friends, (and I have some of the best friends in the world,) there are times when only my own company will do.   There doesn’t need to be a personal trauma or an issue that needs contemplation for me to pack a bag and head away for a weekend.  There are times where I don’t even need a destination.  Sometimes,  a tank of gas will do just fine.

There is a certain satisfaction that comes with the realization that there is power in freedom. The idea that I can make a decision to go ANYWHERE and do just about ANYTHING is not just alluring… it’s liberating!  All that is needed is a desire. It can start with the simplest of ideas, like travel for example. The concept of freedom is such a wonderful thing, and yet many of us don’t exercise it to the fullest extent.  We react life as it happens instead of conscientiously choosing where we want our lives to go.  When was the last time you chosen to exercise your autonomy?

This weekend, I am exhibiting my free will in Savannah, Georgia. I had the desire to be near water, so I packed my weekend bag with a couple pairs of jeans, a comfortable pair of shoes, a bottle of my favorite wine, and an iPod full of my favorite tunes.  Other than the selection of a hotel on the riverfront, I really didn’t have a plan.  Whatever struck my fancy…that is what I chose to do.  Friday night sounded like a fabulous night for a rooftop dinner while watching the sunset.  Saturday’s unseasonably warm weather felt ideal for exploring the city’s exquisite architecture, and allowed me to discover Savannah’s only craft brewery…go figure!  And that wasn’t even on the list…because I chose not to have one.

Today is Sunday.  So far it’s been a magnificent day for a fabulous breakfast, followed by some quiet time enjoying the view from my riverfront balcony.  Maybe late this afternoon I’ll find a great Sushi Restaurant, and afterwards go shopping for the best pralines in the city to bring back to my family.  They’ll love that.  Maybe I’ll choose something else?  Who knows?

What I do know is that I LOVE choosing sovereignty.  I am truly grateful for the God given right to be the person I choose to be.  I can explore all the places I desire to see and do all of the wonderful things that are available to me.  I can take a boat ride on the Savannah River or I can sit quietly on my balcony and enjoy its view.  Whatever I do…I know it will be the right choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment